Thursday, February 17, 2011

Earthen Vessels

Isaiah 45:9
Woe to him who quarrels with his Maker,
an earthen vessel with the Potter!
Does the clay say to him who fashions it,
"What are you making?"
or "Your work has no handles?"

I don't have the seemingly unshakable faith that some people appear to have. I'm alternatively amazed by, inspired by, humbled by, or even exasperated by people who seem to be as familiar with God as I am with my own earthly father. People who speak with a gentle, trusting and humble faith tend to be my favorite people in the world, whereas those who have what I see as an arrogant, unbending and closed-to-discussion certainty of their version of God challenge me to keep my words kind of non-existant. But all I know is -- I have neither.
Sometimes I wonder if there is really a God who hears each prayer as clearly as if it was words spoken between roommates. But throughout my life I have always prayed, sometimes more or less. Lately it's been a lot more than ever, even though my faith was becoming so shaky and vague. And it's been quite interesting. It seemed like I was doing quite a good job of shaping my life. I had a good life in many ways, and even Godly people told me so. But they didn't see some of the struggles which I didn't have the strength to deal with. Ever since I stopped trying to be the potter, and started asking God to do that job--almost an experiment, if you will, though my faith was weak--my life and heart have been formed in incredible ways. I am not one to make bold claims about the nature of God, and I have not been a big evangelizer. My own faith is and has been too weak. But if this keeps up, maybe that will change, and it already is. I have made clumbsy pinch-pot attempts to reshape my heart in the past, but lately it's been as if a young art student's first attempt got thrown onto the pottery wheel and completely reworked by the master.
John 14:13-14
And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
In the last couple days, I think that I have seen every bible verse that says this basic thing. I think it is to confirm that it is right to make sincere, righteous and unselfish requests to God in prayer. This is different than quarelling with Him or telling Him that he is making his pottery wrong. In fact, by allowing Him to be the potter, I feel that He is forming my heart into one that desires the things He wants to do anyway. So I am asking for things that already may be on His agenda, so to speak. Perhaps, He uses the timing of that thing that He already chose to do to confirm His presence and power, by doing it right when it was prayed about and therefore fulfilling his promise to answer sincere prayers in Jesus' name.
Matthew 6
Giving to the Needy 1 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Prayer 5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
9 “This, then, is how you should pray:
“‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10 your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. 11 Give us today our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.’
14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
Fasting 16 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Treasures in Heaven 19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eyes are unhealthy, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!
24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.
Do Not Worry 25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

1 comment:

  1. God's been working like crazy, and making you a stronger (in Him) man, a more loving friend, and a more faithful follower - and He's been doing the same in me (if I was a conspiracy theorist then...)

    ReplyDelete